Friday, December 5, 2008

The Mysteries of Pinging and RSS Feeds

Hi Gang--

The Mystery of Ping

Kenneth Koh from Leads Leap blog just cleared up one of the nagging mysteries I've had lately. A few weeks ago these annoying red highlighted URLs started popping up every time I went to a website. I couldn't figure out what was happening until I read Kenneth's article at:
How to Use Ping.

What he says is that the SEO book plugin for Firefox now gives an indication of which sites are nofollow when you do link backs. There are a mess of them! Of course, you want follow links in order to build back links. Unfortunately for those of us into marketing with our blogs and other web posting services, Wordpress blogs default to nofollow. So... you need to go to your settings file and make sure the follow feature is turned on.

The Mystery of RSS Feeds

I was notified by Getresponse that my signup box at this site has been discontinued because they were getting a message that my link doesn't work. I still have not solved that mystery, but after watching the presentation about RSS feed at the Yaro Starack and Gideon Shalwick Becomeablogger site at least I know how to solve this, and will get it fixed within the next 24 hours. I'm using Feedburner, which is a free tool, and one that gathers all your usage statistics for you no matter what reader sourc your client is using. There is also an email gathering feature in Feedburner and I may start using that instead of trying to link directly to my Getresponse list. That's the part I haven't quite figured out yet...

Anyway, if you want a great set of 10 free videos on getting started in blogging, go to Gideon and Yaro's site. Here's the link: Becomeablogger.com.

Happy blogging!

Liz Nichols

PS: If you want to sign up for my RSS feed, the link is at:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/LizNicholsMarketingNotes





No comments: